Cheerful Greetings

Go down

Cheerful Greetings

Post  ladywindsor on Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:11 pm

Hello -- Just came over here from DM.

I have been collecting dolls since I was a wee one long ago. My mother's mother loved dolls also, she had quite a mish mash collection for her day.
My collection consists of Blythes, Pullips, Odeco's, Madame Alexander, Pinky Street, some BJDs like FL PukiPukis, MuDoll Brownies, and the latest CelliCat, mini-Ddungs plus others I can't remember now (too many, how sad they are not remembered in an instant!). I like the little dolls, doll house size best and 8 inch dolls I am very partial to. Link to my portrait album below.

I live in NH (the deep freeze) and am an educator and a deltiologist/historic foresenic.
I also love doll houses.

Everyday, I look forward to my dolly time.

Jean

Group Portraits Flickr Album -- dolly party tyme!

Last edited by ladywindsor on Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : check)
ladywindsor
ladywindsor

Number of posts : 14

Back to top Go down

Re: Cheerful Greetings

Post  snowy on Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:17 pm

Welcome!! Smile
snowy
snowy
Chatty
Chatty

Female
Number of posts : 357

Back to top Go down

Post  ladywindsor on Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:08 pm

Thanks. Very Happy
ladywindsor
ladywindsor

Back to top Go down

Post  CornflowerBlue on Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:32 am

Welcome! You'll find a lot of the usual suspects here.

Dal collector
Dal collector

Female
Number of posts : 3251

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cornflowerblue77/

Back to top Go down

Post  ladywindsor on Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:46 am

haha -- "suspects" rather than the truth, doll addicts.

Yes, but playing with dolls relieves so much stress!
ladywindsor
ladywindsor

Back to top Go down

Post  ladywindsor on Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:24 pm

Ok -- just checking in again.

Happy Holidays to all!
ladywindsor
ladywindsor

Back to top Go down

Post  TrueFan on Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:40 pm

Glad to have you back!
TrueFan
TrueFan
Admin
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 9302

http://www.puddlestyle.com

Back to top Go down

Post  davidd on Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:45 pm

Forensic... post card collecting? That sounds fascinating! I'm not sure what forensic post card collecting even means, which makes it all the more fascinating!

Anyway, since "the usual suspects" or "addicts" are all here, I figured I may as well tag along. And look, I've learned something new and interesting about one of the doll community members already!
davidd
davidd

Male
Number of posts : 5

Back to top Go down

Post  ladywindsor on Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:03 am

I collect postcards from a region.
Through the postcards, if they have notes or messages, even dates (written or postmarks), you can get an idea of the history or time period. When you have a lot of cards from the same era, you can figure out how people lived. The pictures on the postcards also give clues too. Some places no longer exist or they have changed drastically.

Two of the funniest messages I have from another time:
Turn of the century - Picture of a country lane -- "this is a good place to smoke".
Picture of an old multi-storied wooden college dorm about 1910 with an X on a window: "this is a dangerous place for a nervous person".

I like the one of the poor young factory working girl who lived in a boarding house. The landlady gave her a card to write home. The girl mentioned this kindness to her family who she missed very much.

Interesting that most are written in pencil. Most were written in old school cursive which young people today, have a difficult time reading cursive. (My son asks me to read him cursive notes he gets.)

Postcards of yesteryear were the Twitters of today.

So it is like I am a keeper of history, keeping a few words of strangers, a piece of their lives alive and for all good and prosperity on this earth.
ladywindsor
ladywindsor

Back to top Go down

Post  TrueFan on Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:40 pm

ladywindsor wrote:
So it is like I am a keeper of history, keeping a few words of strangers, a piece of their lives alive and for all good and prosperity on this earth.
A fine and noble task!
TrueFan
TrueFan
Admin
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 9302

http://www.puddlestyle.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Alliecat on Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:31 am

I've enjoyed seeing old letters in museums from wartime writers; this would be interesting too, and probably often funny as you've noted.
I remember notebooks full of cursive writing practice from school. They're not teaching it now? I've seen some abominable penmanship. When the electronic apocalypse happens, some people are going to be completely lost and unable to communicate. Laughing
Alliecat
Alliecat
Chatty
Chatty

Female
Number of posts : 388

Back to top Go down

Post  ladywindsor on Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:02 am

Most schools do not have time to teach cursive anymore with all the technology they can use.

About 10 years ago, my school ditched cursive handwriting altogether.
A sad day for me.
Arguments were that if everyone reads print, why do we have to do cursive handwriting.
(Why do we have to spell if there is spell check?)

Writing in cursive, although frustrating to some, develops fine motor coordination and exercises the brain.

I made my son practice writing his signature in cursive so he could sign legal documents or checks. I gave him a notebook and told him to write his name 10x every day. He still has trouble with it, mostly because of lost practice in youth to develop the fine motor coordination.

I also had young parents who could not read a cursive note sent home.
Some could not read because they were illiterate.
Now a days, notes are emailed to the parents with only a few parents getting hand notes because they don't have home computers or cell phones (can not afford).

I do calligraphy. Sometimes, kids would beg me to write a note home, or a note to them on a daily basis.
So I brought in some simple alphabets, copied and laminated them, for them to practice with a notebook. It was a big hit and kept them busy when they completed their work or had indoor recess.

As for the parents, I can always tell which ones went to Catholic school and for how long by their handwriting style. My Asian students also have nice handwriting.

Thomas Hardy's "On the Western Circuit" is a story based on handwritten letters thought to be written by a peasant girl Anna, but really her educated and lonely unhappily married lady boss to a young eligible man. He later discovers and realizes the truth when he and Anna get married and she cannot sign her name in the marriage book, just an "X".
ladywindsor
ladywindsor

Back to top Go down

Post  Alliecat on Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:26 am

ladywindsor wrote:
I made my son practice writing his signature in cursive so he could sign legal documents or checks....
I also had young parents who could not read a cursive note sent home.
Some could not read because they were illiterate.
I've heard of young people who don't even know what a cheque IS.  So good for you for making him practice.  And also for introducing kids to calligraphy.  I hope some of their interest will 'stick' for later in life.
I see some horrifying statistics about literacy.  It boggles my mind, especially when they appear to be about people my age, given how much spelling and grammar we had in school.  Did they forget all of it???...
My dad was a draftsman, and I learned neat printing at a very young age from watching him.  I still use his all-caps style often, on envelopes, or anything that needs labelling.
... we digress...
Alliecat
Alliecat
Chatty
Chatty

Female
Number of posts : 388

Back to top Go down

Post  ladywindsor on Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:17 pm

"I see some horrifying statistics about literacy.  It boggles my mind, especially when they appear to be about people my age, given how much spelling and grammar we had in school.  Did they forget all of it???.."

If children do not do well in kindergarten or first grade, and do not have the solid basic skills to move onto second grade, they should be held back to develop these skills to be successful students moving forward.  I have had many parents protest recommendations for repeating a grade level.  Then they wonder why their children struggle in later grades and have trouble in college.
Students in upper grades are sometimes held back because of lack of skills but mostly due to uncompleted work. failed classes, or absences.
Social, psychological, economical, and home attitudes toward education also play a part in a student's success.

So these students who do not have skills, move onto the next level, and already are at a tremendous disadvantage and fall behind quickly.
Some are so at risk they have to attend support education when on vacation or have tutoring during school hours.

If literacy skills are not practiced, you drop reading grade levels.  So if you have a student without skills or a lazy student, they could be a senior in high school with only a 6th grade reading level.
As adults, you can also have a very low reading level if you are not practicing reading on a regular basis over time.  (Does message board reading count? Yes!)

I was part of a entering kindergarten readiness assessing team (age 5).  It is amazing that years ago, Sesame Street helped many but now Sesame Street (and Reading Rainbow) seems to be lost among gaming, or other electronic activities.
There are still children who can't count to 10 or know all their ABC's colors, or basic shapes before kindergarten.  Some parents think their personal activities are more important than their children's development.
It takes more than 1000 literacy experiences BEFORE kindergarten to have a successful student.  That is a lot of quality effort and time.
ladywindsor
ladywindsor

Back to top Go down

Post  KiraKira on Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:25 pm

All what you say is true, ladywindsor. I see the degradation of literacy skills, and it's disheartening. It's really sad to see parents hand their smartphones and tablets to entertain/babysit them. It's also why so many youngsters are wearing corrective lenses these days.

On a happy note, my daughter learned to write cursive using an app on the ipad.

"People keep telling me that life goes on, but to me, that's the saddest part."
KiraKira
KiraKira
Fanatic
Fanatic

Female
Number of posts : 1799

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down