The Dal House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

June - Doll Meets

5 posters

Go down

June - Doll Meets Empty June - Doll Meets

Post  TrueFan Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:43 am

June challenge - doll meets! You, at a doll meet, or your dolls meeting with each other!
TrueFan
TrueFan
Admin
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 11807

http://www.puddlestyle.com

Back to top Go down

June - Doll Meets Empty Re: June - Doll Meets

Post  davidd Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:38 pm

At KAWAII-KON 2014:

Hallway at Kawaii-Kon 2014 at the Hawaii Convention Center:

June - Doll Meets 13686086454_b01211f4c9

I saw this "Black Butler" cosplayer on Day 1 at Kawaii-Kon, so I went home and put together a custom Pinky Street fig, and hoped she'd still be in costume the next day... and she was!

June - Doll Meets 13955188863_ac27f235a9

And then I found another Grell:

June - Doll Meets 13932017181_a8ec104c53

Then I ran across a "doll meet." Only... the people there were not very welcoming. They seemed to think that, being a guy or something, I was going to make fun of them.

June - Doll Meets 13686080064_653156ca7d

Even after I brought out the Pinky and asked if I could take a few pics, they seemed reticent. I guess they must have had some bad experiences or something. But... it was a Con, and half the people there were dressed up as super heroes and stuff, so, really!

'Kay, but later... my one true moment of Internet Fame... somebody approached me and asked me if I "was that guy who posts all the cute Pinky Street pictures on Flickr." I didn't even have the dolls out at the time. I used to show my face more on Flickr. Somebody actually recognized me! So we chatted about doll and toy photography for a bit.

2014... wow! Nearly a decade ago!

Another thing that was kinda fun: on Day One I was too shy to even ask cosplayers if I could take pictures, and I did not take the Pinkys out of my pocket, hence this parking lot photo, my only pic from Day One:

June - Doll Meets 13685781203_634d5bd3b9

On Day Two, I began quietly and I hoped politely asking a few cosplayers if I could take photos. I always made a point to ask them about their costumes and their characters.

By Day Three, a number of the cosplayers were waving to me as I walked past, and several of them even told me I was "the coolest photographer" at the Con -- I guess because I tried to be polite and to talk to them, rather than just pointing a big lens at them and acting all "pro photog" and expecting them to strike a pose.

'Kay, anyway, that's pretty much my only "Doll Meet" pics.

There was the time, back in 2013, that KiraKira had her dolls on display at the Kapolei Public Library, and I made a trip over there to see them... but I was too shy to go to the circulation desk to see if she was working that day.

June - Doll Meets 8624108828_0ef2e3fc55

No... wait... here's one more... 'kay, I don't really wanna post this, but it's on Flickr:

June - Doll Meets 21392828122_f2a614bd99

Doll meet-up with Julianne and KiraKira, from the Pinky-Street and Dolly Mixtures forums, at the Honolulu Airport in 2015.

Sad thing is, this is literally my last day in Hawaii. This is the day I was flying out for the last time, moving to the mainland. It's also the only time I've ever met up with any of my Internet dolly friends in person.
davidd
davidd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Male
Number of posts : 1539

Back to top Go down

Post  TrueFan Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:51 pm

Oh, so much! Thanks for posting! I had no idea you had met Julianne and KiraKira! And I don't think I've ever seen that photo of KiraKira's dolls on display. The parking lot photo is great.

I'm sorry people were weird and unwelcoming. One guy who comes to PUDDLE, literally the first time he ever told anyone but his mom that he collected dolls was at PUDDLE. We try to be welcoming to everyone! It's sad it's not always that way.
TrueFan
TrueFan
Admin
Admin

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  jahzteen Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:30 pm

Wow thanks for sharing the pics! They all looked so lovely, I wish I could attend one of these one day Smile
jahzteen
jahzteen
Fanatic
Fanatic

Female
Number of posts : 1162

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roquaiseanne/

Back to top Go down

Post  Alliecat Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:09 pm

Oh hey, it’s YOU! This is so cool; what a great bunch of pictures. Bummer that the doll people weren’t too friendly, but it must have been fun to feel more comfortable over the next couple of days. You really should go to PUDDLE. Everyone I met there except maybe a couple of people, was friendly. (I mean, OK, I’m a girl, but there are guys there too.)
Thanks for posting these.
Very Happy
Alliecat
Alliecat
Fanatic
Fanatic

Female
Number of posts : 1740

Back to top Go down

Post  davidd Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:21 pm

Alliecat wrote:You really should go to PUDDLE. Everyone I met there....

That means you have to post some of your PUDDLE pics this month, doesn't it? Razz
davidd
davidd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Alliecat Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:26 am

Yeah - now that I'm on the laptop I can.

(and hey, your last day in Hawaii and you were still smiling????!)

June - Doll Meets 35087151442_14c23373fd
The LaVoiles on their way to their first PUDDLE, in 2017, at Montreal airport.

June - Doll Meets 38561956760_0025a06540
The theme was "Tea Party".  This isn't my setup but the girls had a quick photo.

June - Doll Meets 43806002764_a71b6a0666
2018: One of the cute dioramas.

June - Doll Meets 42714970370_9ba075fc27
Table decorations.

June - Doll Meets 43806002114_7e8a17cbf1
A great variety of table decorations!

June - Doll Meets 43614447215_4f6ecd58d0
Scarlett was proud of Auntie Victoria's grand-prize-winning photo.

June - Doll Meets 46731742562_31c2b227c3
...as a result of which, Samantha joined the crew.  Aya also joined us at PUDDLE.  I had to figure out how to get the new additions home safely.

June - Doll Meets 46760176711_cb6ddcc8e7
Visited TrueFan after and saw the Mississippi.

June - Doll Meets 52968359225_783c863b0b
Quite a few pirates attended for "Spell of the Sea".
Alliecat
Alliecat
Fanatic
Fanatic

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  davidd Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:40 pm

Alliecat has been to PUDDLE at least twice? How fun!

I love the sea-themed photos! The pic of Auntie Victoria was a worthy photo contest winner. Plus, narwhals and mermaids... and pirates! Plenty o' pirates pillaging at PUDDLE!
davidd
davidd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Alliecat Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:48 pm

Only twice, alas. I wish it was closer -- like driving distance. With the flights, hotel and exchange rate it turns into a thousand-dollar-weekend. That's a bit much.

And we owe Fishy for Auntie Victoria's arrival, because she tipped me off about a Groove sample sale Smile
Alliecat
Alliecat
Fanatic
Fanatic

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  TrueFan Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:57 am

Alliecat wrote:Only twice, alas.  I wish it was closer -- like driving distance.  With the flights, hotel and exchange rate it turns into a thousand-dollar-weekend.  That's a bit much.

And we owe Fishy for Auntie Victoria's arrival, because she tipped me off about a Groove sample sale  Smile
Yeah, I wish it didn't cost so much to come from far away. I'd love to see you at PUDDLE again.

Here's an out-of-order photo. Valancy needing a nap after we got home. SOOO much stuff to sort through after PUDDLE.
June - Doll Meets 52982543452_94c392e3e9
Valancy in bed by TrueFan, on Flickr
TrueFan
TrueFan
Admin
Admin

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  TrueFan Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:22 am

2023 Dress Like Your Doll Parade at PUDDLE!
June - Doll Meets 53000265225_c4dc438d6a
PUDDLE 2023 Dress Like Your Doll by TrueFan, on Flickr

And my little crew at the table.
June - Doll Meets 53000045254_0634310a03
My group at PUDDLE by TrueFan, on Flickr
TrueFan
TrueFan
Admin
Admin

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  davidd Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:41 pm

A parade? Did you, like, march all around the hotel, through the hallways on all the floors, and around the outside through the parking lots?

Elaborate costumes by some of the conference guests! Some of the human costumes look as detailed as the dolly costumes!
davidd
davidd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Alliecat Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:22 pm

Aw, such a small group for DYLD.  Who won?  I remember feeling a bit conspicuous going through the hotel hallways in my PJs for that the first year I went; had matching dolly ones (by chance!) Laughing
Alliecat
Alliecat
Fanatic
Fanatic

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  dargosmydaddy Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:44 pm

The doll that appears to have a TV for a head is cracking me up! Reminds me a bit of someone who used to be on Dolly Market back in the day who had a doll with an orange for a head.
dargosmydaddy
dargosmydaddy
Always here
Always here

Number of posts : 510

Back to top Go down

Post  TrueFan Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:05 am

We did not march all over the hotel - just from the ballroom to the foyer. There used to be a great desk clerk who was very interested in the event and we started parading out to the foyer so he could see the outfits. He is no longer there but we still do it.

It was a small group this year. The winner was the person next to me in the striped pants. She made her outfit and her doll's. (I ordered my dress off Amazon and Valancy's off etsy. I was not in it to win it.)

The person with the TV head doll makes them! I told her next year she needs to have a TV head also.

TrueFan
TrueFan
Admin
Admin

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  jahzteen Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:15 pm

Thanks for sharing the lovely pictures, True!
jahzteen
jahzteen
Fanatic
Fanatic

Female
Number of posts : 1162

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roquaiseanne/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down