The Dal House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Friend - 2015 third theme results

+4
KiraKira
WellerMade
scrapsoflife
TrueFan
8 posters

Go down

Best Friend - 2015 third theme results Empty Best Friend - 2015 third theme results

Post  TrueFan Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:39 pm

Just a note to all the participants that the judges are very much enjoying all of your interpretations of the theme and your creative photos. The comments are offered as constructive feedback, but we hope they do not discourage you in any way.

1st – Anna/Marsian
Best Friend - 2015 third theme results 20626840309_f7229a0e63

2nd –Penny/sarascales66
Best Friend - 2015 third theme results 20819358735_42256222c1

3rd – Delphine/Jane Cherie
Best Friend - 2015 third theme results 20824360632_9881bfdd0a

Lyris - This is a charming photo. We liked the outdoor setting and the natural pose (and the bunny ears Lyris is making behind his head!). The hair in the face of Erasmus is a bit distracting, and we did not feel this photo expressed the theme quite as well as some of the others.

March - This is a sweet photo full of motion. You can practically feel the wind; the flyaway hair suggests the cart is moving fast. It definitely gives the impression of three friends having a blast. This photo just missed placing in the top three. It would probably be even more effective without the toys in the front and with a lighter background to reflect the upbeat vibe.

Tiger Lily - This is a nice view of Tiger Lily and her friend enjoying the outdoors. It looks like Tiger Lily is lost in thought; we would have liked to see her gaze on the camera. We did not feel this photo expressed the theme quite as well as some of the others.

Delicate Tip Toe - Excellent use of color and lighting. It made us wonder what they are looking at and what mischief they are contemplating getting. We did not feel this photo expressed the theme quite as well as some of the others.

Nerissa - The photobomb is indeed amusing as a fun cat photo. As a Best Friends photo, it doesn’t really capture the theme.

Anna - Simple and effective, with minimal but effective use of props. It looks like a real setting and shows the theme without explanation. It certainly focuses on the friendship of Anna and her bestie. We loved the best friends necklaces.

Fannie - This photo definitely conveys the feeling of comfortable intimacy between two friends sharing a book. We like the placement of them in the corner, with the lines of the room drawing our eyes towards their heads. The crooked photo on the wall is a bit distracting, but this was another contender for the top three.

Alice Liddell - It looks like Alice's friend has come to keep her company while she is sick in bed and does a nice job of addressing the theme. The lines in the room draw your attention to Alice's face even though Anne is closer to the viewer. The Best Alice Liddell entry so far!

Lilith - The stark white of the creature against the black backround with Lilith in front is very striking.The blackness that surrounds her conveys a feeling of emptiness and loneliness but not necessarily a sense of Best Friend.

Delphine - We liked the cheerful setting of a café with the two friends sharing a lively conversation. Great use of props to bring the set to life. Delphine could have used a bit of propping up so she was not leaning back so far, and it could have been even more effective if the friends were making better eye contact. But still good enough for third place this round!

Fata - How nice that Fata the Byul’s best friend is another Byul.  This photo is a bit static. We’d have liked it better if there was something going on, like if the girls had linked arms, were looking at each other or something on that order. The little Pullip and the bunny are a bit distracting.

Penny - This photo really captures a melancholy air of waiting for or missing one’s best friend. The rain, the fancy dress and tights, the balloons and her wistful look are all great. It’s a good photo in that it makes the viewer want to find out more about it—is Penny supposed to attend a party? Is her best friend coming over to visit? Or did she move away? Or something more tragic? A nicely put-together shot that leaves the viewer hanging. The tilted lamp was a bit distracting; the photo would be even stronger without the lamp or with a straight shade.
TrueFan
TrueFan
Admin
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 11860

http://www.puddlestyle.com

Back to top Go down

Best Friend - 2015 third theme results Empty Re: Best Friend - 2015 third theme results

Post  scrapsoflife Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:09 pm

Yay Anna! That precious BFF necklace was my favorite prop in this round Smile Congrats to Penny and Delphine for their spots in the Top 3 Smile

And it's good to know that what I intended to be sign of Fannie's more slap-dash, casual personality was more distracting than indicative of the friends Odd Couple-ness. Will keep that in mind in the future!

Kasia (Monomono), Tessa (Tezca), T'ika (Lipoca)
scrapsoflife
scrapsoflife

Female
Number of posts : 368

http://www.scrapsoflife.com

Back to top Go down

Best Friend - 2015 third theme results Empty Re: Best Friend - 2015 third theme results

Post  WellerMade Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:21 pm

Congrats top three! Great job everybody. Fun to see.
WellerMade
WellerMade
Chatty
Chatty

Female
Number of posts : 279

Back to top Go down

Post  KiraKira Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:19 pm

Congratulations to everyone who submitted an entry for Round 3. It's always fun to see how differently the theme can be depicted in photos.

Nice work, all!
Very Happy

KiraKira
KiraKira
Dal collector
Dal collector

Female
Number of posts : 2059

Back to top Go down

Post  Jane Chérie Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:34 pm

The BFF necklace was genius!  

Thanks for the advice!  Making Delphine sit up straight was the hardest thing to do! Hahaha! Since I didn't have a wall behind her to rest her head and the chairs were not heavy enough, she kept on falling backward.

So I use a red ribbon around her waist to tie her to the chair and I taped her back to the chair as well.

You should have seen me scrambling around the house looking for tack or some sort of glue to secure her better but it was down to the wire and I had no more time.  Hahaha!

I'll try better next time but if anybody has advice concerning positioning the dolls, please share!
Jane Chérie
Jane Chérie
Chatty
Chatty

Female
Number of posts : 247

http://jane-cherie.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  CornflowerBlue Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:01 am

This was another fun round!  We seem to end up with about 5 or 6 favorites that we have to somehow narrow down to three.  It's also interesting to see where we agree and disagree when the three of us are looking at the same photo.

Jane Chérie, you did a good job of hiding how you were holding her in the chair.  It can be frustrating when they just don't want to cooperate!

If you fold a piece of cardboard into a wedge and either have them sit on it, with the fold towards their knees opening up towards the back it can help them sit up straight.  Or use it between the doll and the back of the chair to push their upper body forward more.  I used a wedge in this round because my Byul kept wanting to lean back too far in the coffin, so I stuck it under her to prop her up more.

Another thing that can work, if you have some, is to use that sticky tack stuff to stick their shoes to the floor.  Sometimes that's all it takes to keep them from sliding down in a chair.

Dal collector
Dal collector

Female
Number of posts : 3743

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cornflowerblue77/

Back to top Go down

Post  TrueFan Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:33 am

How about a pillow behind her back after she is secured, to prop her forward? Good use of the ribbon - I would never have guessed that was holding her on the chair.
TrueFan
TrueFan
Admin
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 11860

http://www.puddlestyle.com

Back to top Go down

Best Friend - 2015 third theme results Empty congrats and thank you

Post  sarascales66 Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:14 am

Congratulation to everyone who entered, im glad i was not choosing the winners because they were all amazing. Thankyou for placing me second, that was amazing and thank you for the photography advice because i really do want to improve. My son thought the lamp comment was funny though because he had said from the beginning that it looked wrong, so he is gloating Laughing

sarascales66

Number of posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Post  Jane Chérie Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:42 pm

Thank you TrueFan and CornFlowerBlue for the advice and tips! I will keep them in mind and try for the next time! Smile
Jane Chérie
Jane Chérie
Chatty
Chatty

Female
Number of posts : 247

http://jane-cherie.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Marsian Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:41 pm

O wow, I did not expect this at all, completly surprised! I actually thought the idea might have been to simple and love many of the ideas that were presented by everyone! thank you so much for liking my photo!    Smile

Appologies for such a belated response, My head has been all over the place and at points it seemed as if it wasn't in sync with my body's location, so to speak  Laughing

Congrats Penny and Sara, has Hannah arrived safely? Of so, more pics please Wink
And ofcourse congrats to the two of also Delphine and Jane, I love the coffe shop setting, It looks like a nice place for friends to share a coffee and good stories!

I really enjoyed this round, it was so much fun to see all those great ideas brought to life!

Last edited by Marsian on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Better choice of words and grammar)
Marsian
Marsian
Chatty
Chatty

Female
Number of posts : 323

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down