The Dal House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

davidd's A DOLL A DAY 2023

+3
CatDragonStorm
TrueFan
Alliecat
7 posters

Page 10 of 24 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 17 ... 24  Next

Go down

davidd's A DOLL A DAY 2023 - Page 10 Empty Re: davidd's A DOLL A DAY 2023

Post  Alliecat Mon May 08, 2023 8:29 am

Oh, it rained? Bummer. I did see pictures of the crowd, and they said some people had been camping out for days.
Your white-sweater guy suddenly made me think that this is what one of the young crew-members from the Bounty will look like, in another 40 years Laughing
Alliecat
Alliecat
Fanatic
Fanatic

Female
Number of posts : 1831

Back to top Go down

Post  davidd Mon May 08, 2023 5:44 pm

8 May - A Doll A Day 2023:

davidd's A DOLL A DAY 2023 - Page 10 May8
Water Tower II

Another half-forgotten project from the storage shed:

Last summer I tried to reconstruct my old Shady Rest Water Tower.

The original tower looked better.

davidd's A DOLL A DAY 2023 - Page 10 14607744021_a444b49c49
2014 version

I think the new platform is an improvement.

I usually don't have much success when I attempt to reconstruct old projects.

8 May - A Doll A Day 2023
davidd
davidd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Male
Number of posts : 1539

Back to top Go down

Post  CatDragonStorm Tue May 09, 2023 6:27 pm

Soon you are going to have to rename this thread to "a project a day"
Your water tower is very cool, I actually didn't realise it was doll sized until closer inspection.
CatDragonStorm
CatDragonStorm
Always here
Always here

Number of posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  davidd Tue May 09, 2023 7:36 pm

CatDragonStorm wrote:Soon you are going to have to rename this thread to "a project a day"

I'm curious to see how long this "Project a Day" series lasts! I didn't realize how many unfinished, semi-finished, and completely forgotten projects I have.

9 May - A Doll A Day 2023:

davidd's A DOLL A DAY 2023 - Page 10 May9
Castle Stairs

At least these diorama pieces aren't buried in junk! These are my two spiral staircases, sitting inside a basic "corner room box" that I constructed to use for "quick" photo set-ups.
Of course, now that the stairs and box are sitting on a high shelf in the storage shed that requires a ladder to reach, they don't see much action anymore.
davidd
davidd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Alliecat Wed May 10, 2023 6:12 am

The water tower looks like it's right at home on the Hawaiian beach (together, now: siiggghhhh....).  You could build one huge set incorporating all this stuff.
Alliecat
Alliecat
Fanatic
Fanatic

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  CatDragonStorm Wed May 10, 2023 1:42 pm

I want to build a diorama so bad but I don't have much space for storing anything so I wonder if there is a way to make a collapsible one?
I am impressed with your building skills though.
CatDragonStorm
CatDragonStorm
Always here
Always here

Back to top Go down

Post  davidd Wed May 10, 2023 7:41 pm

CatDragonStorm wrote:I want to build a diorama so bad but I don't have much space for storing anything so I wonder if there is a way to make a collapsible one?

There has been a flurry of discussion lately on some of the action figure forums about constructing "flat pack" dioramas, where the walls are easily disassembled for compact storage.

The Master of the Flat Pack was MiskatonicNick on Flickr. Most of his amazing and detailed settings were simple cardboard or poster board walls. Even his elaborate science fiction style sets were flat cardboard walls. He used some kind of clips, similar to laundry clips or clothes pins, to hold the corners together.

Alliecat wrote:The water tower looks like it's right at home on the Hawaiian beach (together, now: siiggghhhh....).  You could build one huge set incorporating all this stuff.

Village of the (Damned) Toys, yeah. As you mentioned, I could almost do my own Marwen. Except most of my dios are interiors. I'd like to have a giant wall shelf, like those old Victorian libraries that had the built-in ladders that ran on a track. Only put doll and action figure dioramas and scenes on all the shelves.

10 May - A Doll A Day 2023:

davidd's A DOLL A DAY 2023 - Page 10 May10a
Derelict Tiki Bar

The 1/6-scale tiki bar project was initiated in June 2018, but promptly fell in to development limbo. I realized rather quickly that the walls were not tall enough for photo purposes, so I set everything aside until I "had time" to address the shortcoming.

Eleven months later, May 2019, I resumed work on the project, extending the walls upward and outward to create a setting more amenable to a variety of camera angles. Again, however, the project soon stalled, and has been sitting more or less ignored for the last four years.

Four years! For four years, the tiki bar room box project has been little more than a box full of random craft supplies.

Could there, however, be a "Flickr" of life in this interminably delayed project?

davidd's A DOLL A DAY 2023 - Page 10 May10b
Emmy Sneaks a Peek

Emmy (Chocolate Cigarette Momoko), herself recently unearthed from beneath the clutter in the storage shed (I honestly had forgotten all about her), is amazed to discover what appears to be another effort to revisit this project. Indeed, it looks to be a serious effort, once again involving a major rebuild and expansion of the original structure: raising the wall height even further, and nearly doubling the original floor length, necessitating the construction of additional floors and walls.

davidd's A DOLL A DAY 2023 - Page 10 May10c
The View from Emmy's Perspective

Will the current attempt prove any more successful than previous efforts? Or will an initial flurry of enthusiasm and effort quickly fade as more pressing "real world" issues and events take priority?

I don't know, but... say, is that a piano in the back corner? Could it be the same piano that was recently rediscovered in another abandoned (and since disassembled and discarded) room box diorama? Is progress being made in consolidation, prioritization, and actual action?
davidd
davidd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  davidd Thu May 11, 2023 6:20 pm

11 May - A Doll A Day 2023:

davidd's A DOLL A DAY 2023 - Page 10 May11

Pinky-Street scale (for 3-3/4 inch to 4-inch figures) theatrical stage diorama. This project, which I began in March 2019, was almost but never entirely finished, and has only been used in perhaps three or four photos.

The "anvils" thing was a long-running "inside joke" in the comment streams of a number of toy photographers on the Flickr photo-sharing website at the time.

A Doll A Day -- 11 May 2023
davidd
davidd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Alliecat Fri May 12, 2023 7:37 am

The shelf with doll rooms sounds like a wonderful idea.  I've just seen a dollhouse coffee table which is absolutely fabulous.  It's deep enough for 1:12 rooms, all beautifully finished, has windows and doors around the side, and a glass top.  It was in a FB group so I don't think I can link it.

Sooo many projects.  A quote from a favourite character in a completely unrelated context in something I need to finish came to mind: "Pick one and get on with it, Mr. ---."
Alliecat
Alliecat
Fanatic
Fanatic

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  davidd Fri May 12, 2023 7:22 pm

Alliecat wrote:"Pick one and get on with it, Mr. ---."

Good idea. I've kind of done that... although 'one' turned in to 'three.'

12 May - A Doll A Day 2023:

davidd's A DOLL A DAY 2023 - Page 10 May12
Space Ship Parts

The space ship control room diorama doesn't have, ironically, an assigned space yet, but it has some random pieces stuffed randomly in to random places.
davidd
davidd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  CatDragonStorm Fri May 12, 2023 11:14 pm

I tried to look up Dollhouse coffee tables out of curiosity but all I got was 1/12th scale tables which isn't quite the same thing. Your house would be cool to wander round with all these dioramas and half finished projects.
CatDragonStorm
CatDragonStorm
Always here
Always here

Back to top Go down

Post  Alliecat Sat May 13, 2023 7:57 am

CatDragonStorm wrote:I tried to look up Dollhouse coffee tables out of curiosity but all I got was 1/12th scale tables
Hahaha, same. I wondered if they were a common thing as I'd never seen one before.

OK, I found a link and could see it without being a member of the group, so maybe it will work for you guys?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/672280702818407/permalink/6204522312927524/
Alliecat
Alliecat
Fanatic
Fanatic

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  CatDragonStorm Sat May 13, 2023 1:20 pm

Oh wow that's just about the coolest thing I have ever seen!
CatDragonStorm
CatDragonStorm
Always here
Always here

Back to top Go down

Post  davidd Sat May 13, 2023 6:05 pm

13 May - A Doll A Day 2023:

davidd's A DOLL A DAY 2023 - Page 10 May13
A Tale of Two Scales

The remains of my Pinky Street (10cm figures) U-Boat (constructed back in July 2007) and unfinished Smart Doll (1/3-scale) chairs (started in 2018).
davidd
davidd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Alliecat Sun May 14, 2023 4:45 am

Which of the projects is the closest to being done and needs the least amount of work? Maybe starting on one that needs very little work, will make it easy to finish, then you have some sense of accomplishment, and could go on to the second-nearest-finished one, and so on.

...*pauses* Hmm... there is probably some sort of lesson in that for ME....

CatDragonStorm wrote:Oh wow that's just about the coolest thing I have ever seen!
That's pretty much what I said where I saw it posted. It would be really hard to choose between this and the lighthouse dollhouse I'd still like to copy someday, if I had to name the Coolest Dollhouse Ever.
Alliecat
Alliecat
Fanatic
Fanatic

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  davidd Sun May 14, 2023 6:10 pm

Alliecat wrote:Which of the projects is the closest to being done and needs the least amount of work? ...

... It would be really hard to choose between this and the lighthouse dollhouse I'd still like to copy someday, if I had to name the Coolest Dollhouse Ever.

Laughing That's exactly how I finally managed to finish my university degree. After my first couple of years, taking a variety of "required" courses with no specific goal in mind, I set my "college career" on hold for a while. Like, for too long, but that's a judgement error I'd rather bury in the past. Anyway, when I finally went back, I still had no idea "what I wanted to do with my life," so I went to an academic counselor, showed him my transcript, and asked what degree I was closest to completing. Hence: Bachelor of Science in Broadcast Journalism.
Laughing
A lighthouse dollhouse you'd like to copy? Do you have pix or a link? I mean, a Pinky-Street scale lighthouse is actually on my goals list for this year! Admittedly, that would entail starting yet another project.
Wink

14 May - A Doll A Day 2023:

davidd's A DOLL A DAY 2023 - Page 10 May14
Buried Treasure!

I unearthed an entire cafe play set from beneath the clutter in one of my disused dioramas! I had completely forgotten about having purchased this until I dug it out from where it had become completely hidden.
davidd
davidd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Alliecat Sun May 14, 2023 10:03 pm

davidd wrote:... I went to an academic counselor, showed him my transcript, and asked what degree I was closest to completing. Hence: Bachelor of Science in Broadcast Journalism.
Cool. I mean, it's not a bad strategy, assuming the thing you end up with is something you're actually interested in.

I started thinking about this back when I only had THREE minis. With anticipated me-time on the horizon, I envisioned setting up in the garage and puttering along building it. Life didn't work out that way.
https://nanasminis.com/lighthouse
Alliecat
Alliecat
Fanatic
Fanatic

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  davidd Mon May 15, 2023 8:56 pm

15 May - A Doll A Day 2023:

davidd's A DOLL A DAY 2023 - Page 10 May15
The Old Tavern

This is my not-a-tki-bar pub-tavern diorama. It was originally intended to be a quick set for a couple of quick scenes, but I liked it so I kept it and... here it sits. I think Frank can be spotted, still sitting in the corner in the back.
davidd
davidd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  davidd Tue May 16, 2023 5:25 pm

16 May - A Doll A Day 2023:

davidd's A DOLL A DAY 2023 - Page 10 May16
Cooking Up Timeless Prose

davidd
davidd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  davidd Wed May 17, 2023 5:45 pm

17 May - A Doll A Day 2023:

davidd's A DOLL A DAY 2023 - Page 10 May17
The Girls Unload 'Store Bought' Firewood from the Back of the Car
davidd
davidd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Alliecat Thu May 18, 2023 9:09 am

Poor girls, hard at work again.
Perhaps Ernest is writing a story about their lives of toil...?
Alliecat
Alliecat
Fanatic
Fanatic

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  davidd Fri May 19, 2023 5:16 pm

Alliecat wrote:
Perhaps Ernest is writing a story about their lives of toil...?

Or more likely the thought of all that work has inspired him to take the afternoon off and have a drink.

19 May - A Doll A Day 2023:

davidd's A DOLL A DAY 2023 - Page 10 May19
Amelia Inspects a Potential Home for the Ærodrome

I managed to clean out another diorama. This used to be my primary "multi-purpose" diorama space, usually serving a variety of purposes for Bratz doll photostories and as a generic background for photos. Now the Ameliæ Escadrille are considering commandeering the space for ærodrome purposes.

Seeing this room box "empty" again is reminding me why it ended up being set aside: the walls and windows are too reflective and are prone to distracting glare spots. I've tried coating the walls with "matte" sealer a couple of times, with little effect. I'm not sure what to do about the windows. I might remove the plastic windows and replace them with paper. I don't know if I can buff down the walls with wire wool to reduce the gloss. I might try a few things, and if they don't work, maybe it will be time to retire this space.

On the Amelia front -- a nice example showed up on eBay last week for $350. I added it to my eBay "watch list," and the seller soon offered a much better price, about a hundred off. However, my hobby budget is "below water" at the moment, so there was no way I could take advantage of the offer... and now she's gone.
davidd
davidd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Alliecat Fri May 19, 2023 9:19 pm

I sympathize with Ernest. The thought of all the stuff I have to do in the next two days has me headed for a major stall right now. Sigh.
Too bad about Amelia. Do you check Mandarake? I don’t know if she comes up there, but you can set up email notifications. I still get them for Crimson Veritas because I haven’t been bothered to take down the search after I got her.
Alliecat
Alliecat
Fanatic
Fanatic

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  davidd Sun May 21, 2023 5:21 am

20 May - A Doll A Day 2023:

davidd's A DOLL A DAY 2023 - Page 10 May20
Gnatalie Yearns Nostalgically for an Idealized Past

Gnatalie is reading a book of health tips distributed by an insurance company in1923.
davidd
davidd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  TrueFan Mon May 22, 2023 1:27 am

We want to see glam shots of those poor working girls.
Shocked Laughing Shocked Laughing
TrueFan
TrueFan
Admin
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 11914

http://www.puddlestyle.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content